The entrance on Evelyn Street has iron gates and railings and a short avenue of London plane trees, and the structural planting and design is largely intact with a perimeter walk, and perimeter planting of mature London planes.
Located near the river, the site was once market gardens on the estate owned by the Evelyn family, and was particularly famous for its onions, celery and asparagus. In 1884 the land was purchased for a public park by the LCC, who paid two-thirds of the purchase cost. Deptford Park was opened on 7 June 1897 by the LCC Chairman, Dr W J Collins. The layout was by Lt Col J J Sexby, Chief Officer of the Parks Department, and included several built features that no longer survive.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open daily until dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open daily until dusk.
DirectionsRail: Deptford then bus. London Overground: Surrey Quays then bus. Bus: 47, 188, 199.
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Deptford Park