Portland Square 2684

Bristol, England

Brief Description

Portland Square is a communal garden in a Georgian square. It comprises an enclosed oval within a square. The grassed oval area is surrounded by wrought iron railings and ornamental areas. Features include rose beds and several fine mature trees, notably horse chestnut, lime and London plane.

History

The square was laid out by Daniel Hague in 1790. However, many of the surrounding buildings were not completed until 1815. Many of these buildings have now been restored and the square has been described as Bristol's `most complete and beautiful Georgian square'.

Visitor Facilities

The square is open to the public at all times.

Detailed Description

Portland Square is distinctive among Bristol squares in that it is comprised of an enclosed oval within a square. The grassed oval area is surrounded by wrought iron railings and ornamental areas. A path skirts the inside of the enclosed area. There are some rose beds in the enclosed area, and several fine mature trees, notably horse chestnut, lime and London plane. In architectural terms the square is dominated by St. Paul's Church, completed in 1794, which faces onto the north-east of the square.

Portland Square is maintained by the Parks Department of Bristol City Council. The grass is cut regularly, and the enclosed area is kept clean and tidy. The surrounding architecture has been badly neglected over the years, but much of it immediately fronting the square has now been restored. All of the buildings have been preserved, but at the time of the last survey (1984), some were unoccupied and derelict.

Features
  • Railings
  • Description: This feature is the wrought iron railings. There are gateways with an overthrow and lamp holder on each side.
  • Rose Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Town House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The square is open to the public at all times.
History

Detailed History

Portland Square was laid out in 1790 by Daniel Hague, who also designed St. Paul's Church (completed in 1794). Unfortunately, Hague was bankrupted in 1793, and many of the buildings facing onto the square had to wait until 1815 before they were completed. Since then, the area around Portland Square has changed from being primarily residential, and become an area of warehouses, and more recently, office accommodation. Despite this, the buildings of Portland Square have been preserved, and many have been completely restored. Portland Square has been described as Bristol's ‘most complete and beautiful Georgian square' (Gomme and others, see references).

In 1952, the square was acquired by Bristol City Council. The enclosed area was cleared up, rose beds planted and the lawn restored in 1953-4.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Portland Square

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Toby Thacker

    1

  • Avon Gardens Trust