Brunswick Square is a communal garden dating to 1788, altered in 1953-54.
Brunswick Square is a small Georgian square, now divided into four triangles by asphalt paths. It has no railings. The triangles all contain small rose beds. Brunswick Chapel, completed in 1834 and now being restored, is the dominating architectural feature of the square.
The square is maintained by the Parks Department of Bristol City Council. The grass is cut regularly and the rose beds are well-kept. The architecture around Brunswick Square has been substantially preserved, and much of it is now being restored. The square has lost its railings.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
Brunswick Square is open at all times.
Brunswick Square was laid out in 1788, and occupies an important place in the history of Bristol's architecture and town planning. Brunswick Chapel was completed in 1834.
The square was acquired by Bristol City Council in 1952, and was laid out in its present form in 1953-4, at a cost of £669. At that time, the grass was restored and the rose beds were planted.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Features & Designations
- Reference: Portland Square
- Flower Bed
- Description: Rose beds.
- Key Information
Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces
Late 18th Century
Part: standing remains
Open to the public