St James' Park, Kingsdown 3094

Bristol, England

Brief Description

St. James' Park is a small triangular park crossed by paths. The main area is laid to grass. Shrubs and plane trees border it on the south-eastern and western sides.

History

The park is on the site of a 'retreat' with paths of levelled tombstones, formerly part of St James' Churchyard. The site was taken over by the Corporation on the 7th of December 1925, and re-arranged in 1949-50.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.

Detailed Description

St. James' Park is a small triangular park crossed by paths. The main area is laid to grass. Shrubs and plane trees border it on the south-eastern and western sides. This isolates it from the heavy traffic on the Haymarket.

Along the northern side there are two or three old graveyard monuments, and the ground is paved with large old rectangular tombstones.

To the west of the park is another triangle of land bounded by large plane trees similar to those around the park. This area has been asphalted, except for the part paved by tombstones. The two triangles are separated by a paved footpath with stone walls surmounted by railings on either side. Both areas are surrounded by these 19th century wrought iron railings, which are listed along with the gate piers and gates.

St. James' Park is well-maintained by the local authority.

Features
  • Sculpture
  • Description: Cross
  • Tomb
  • Description: Tombstone of Wesley family.
Sundial, Railings, Gate
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.
History

Detailed History

St. James' Park used to be the graveyard of St. James' church, which is said to be the oldest church in Bristol. St. James' churchyard was originally laid out as a retreat by Feoffees of St. James' parish by levelling the tombstones. It was taken over by the Corporation on the 7th of December 1925, and re-arranged in 1949-50.

Period

  • Early 20th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • Bristol City Council

    The Council House, College Green, BS1 5TR
References

References

Contributors

  • Avon Gardens Trust

  • E.J. Spiller

    1