Plumstead Common was landscaped from 1903 and today is a large expanse of heathland and grassland, in addition to more formally laid out areas. Some earlier features, such as the Edwardian bandstand, no longer exist.
There were once orchards in the area as the land was good for growing fruit as well as grazing and as a consequence the village of Plumstead prospered. The eastern part of Plumstead Common is locally called Winns Common, an area purportedly settled by ancient Britons. Development accelerated in the 19th century and encroachments of the common land took place to the increasing concern of local people. In 1874 the Lord of the Manor gave permission to the military to use the Common and then proposed leasing it on a permanent basis. This was actively opposed and in 1877 Plumstead and Winns Commons were purchased by the MBW to preserve them for public open space.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Plumstead/Woolwich Arsenal then bus. Bus: 51, 53
- Early 20th Century