The churchyard has been closed for burials and gravestones cleared largely to the perimeter, although one monument remains near the church. Part of the churchyard was later laid out as the adjacent public garden.
Plumstead, so-named for being a good area for fruit growing, grew into a fishing village and later the growing population included workers from the nearby Royal Arsenal. The 12th-century St Nicholas Church was much added to and restored, having fallen into ruins on two occasions in the 17th and 19th centuries. To serve the larger population further land for burial was purchased in 1860 and there were over 40,000 burials here, among them veterans of the Royal Artillery and Engineers.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Plumstead then bus. Bus: 96, 99, 177, 180
- Medieval (1066-1540)
St Nicholas Church PCC
London Parks and Gardens Trust