The park is in two parts, divided by the road, the eastern part an informal grassed area and the western part landscaped with a railed children's playground on the site of a former ornamental pond known as the Lily Pond.
Long a popular place of public resort, Eaglesfield at the summit of Shooters Hill was bought by Woolwich MBC and opened as Eaglesfield Park in 1908. The name may derive from the coat of arms of 18th-century landowner John Lidgebird, which had two eagles, or because the summit of Shooters Hill was known as a roost for eagles in medieval times.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Welling then bus. Tube: North Greenwich (Jubilee) then bus. Bus: 178, 89, 486
- Early 20th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Eaglesfield Park