Features of Shrewsbury Park include wooded areas and football pitches. Just outside the park is the Shrewsbury Tumulus, the remains of a Bronze Age burial mound.
Shrewsbury Park is land on Shooters Hill that was once part of the estate of the Earls of Shrewsbury, whose 18th-century mansion, Shrewsbury House, was replaced in 1923 by a new house of the same name, now a library and community centre. The grounds of Shrewsbury House were leased for an LCC Open Air School from 1908 and in 1928 the LCC purchased part of the grounds for public open space, which became Shrewsbury Park. In the 1930s remaining areas of the former grounds were developed for housing, notably John Laing and Son's Shrewsbury Park Estate, designed on Garden City principles.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Woolwich Arsenal then bus/walk. Bus: 178 (walk)
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust