The cemetery has a dramatic gateway with lodges at the entrance and a driveway leads up the hill to the chapels sited on the top of the hill. To the left of the entrance are greenhouses and the south hillside is still largely grass; grass terraces descending to Wickham Lane now have a Children's Section that is reached via a pergola; there are big retaining walls and railings at the base of the slope. Planting within the cemetery is somewhat sparse but includes sycamore, beech, oak clumps although none of the planting appears to pre-date the cemetery layout.
Plumstead Cemetery was opened by the Woolwich Burial Board in 1890 on a prominent hillside in former parkland that was laid out in the 17th century.
Visitor FacilitiesDaily: April-Sept 9am-7pm; October-March 9am-4pm
Detailed DescriptionPlumstead Cemetery was opened by Woolwich Burial Board in 1890 on a prominent hillside. The cemetery has a dramatic gateway with lodges at the entrance and a driveway leads up the hill to the chapels sited on the top of the hill. Plumstead War Memorial is within the cemetery, which also has memorials to those who lost their lives in accidents at the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich. Among those buried here are local dignitaries and recipients of the Victoria Cross, Thomas Flawn and Gunner Alfred Smith who was part of the Camel Corps on its way to relieve General Gordon under siege at Khartoum.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); LB Greenwich Cemeteries website
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=GRN040
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsDaily: April-Sept 9am-7pm; October-March 9am-4pm
DirectionsRail: Plumstead then bus. Bus: 96, 422
London Parks and Gardens Trust