Site of Bishop's Palace, Spaldwick 5964

Spaldwick, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Previous features of Bishop's Palace included garden terraces, extensive earthworks, a mound and several ponds.

History

Bishop's Palace was created between 1300 and 1500 as a private residence for the Bishops of Lincoln.

Detailed Description

Until the 1920s the remains of a series of terraces and scarps existed; and extensive earthworks have been destroyed by modern ploughing. In the north-west corner is a ciruclar mound 15 metres in diameter and to the east are three marshy depressions, possibly linked rectangular ponds with a fourth small pond to the east. All may have been the gardens attached to the Palace, as was the custom with other medieval palaces of the Bishops of Lincoln.
Features
  • Artificial Mound
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Palace (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Spaldwick
History

Detailed History

A medieval palace of the Bishops of Lincoln once stood in a D-shaped site surrounding the village church, bounded on three sides by the existing roads and a deep hollow to the west.

Period

  • 16th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust