Old Sleningford Hall 2501

Mickley, Ripon, North Yorkshire, England, North Yorkshire, Harrogate

Brief Description

Old Sleningford has a landscape park associated with a hall. Features include a lake with islands, woodland, a walled kitchen garden and herbaceous borders. There is also a mill and associated buildings.

History

Old Sleningford was created in the early 19th century. The current owners carried out further work in the late 20th century.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.oldslen.fsnet.co.uk/osh.htm
Features
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Description: An ornamental lake with islands.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: A summerhouse with trompe-l'oeil decoration.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Stables.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.oldslen.fsnet.co.uk/osh.htm
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ripon
History

Detailed History

The current site was created largely in the early-19th century. The estate was originally part of the lands belonging to Fountains Abbey. The abbey was a Benedictine and later a Cistercian monastery which was dissolved in 1539. After the dissolution the site became a seperate estate.

General Kitchinman Hutchinson carried out much of the work in the early-19th century. A beech wood, a terrace walk, a small lake with islands and a mill was created. The General's daughter, Miss Staveley was responsible for the trompe-l'oeil decoration of the summerhouse. This art technique creates an optical illusion through the use of extremely realistic painting. It is usually used to create a sense of space.

During the late-20th century further work was carried out in the gardens with some guidance from the late Brenda Colvin.

Associated People

People associated to Old Sleningford Hall

References

Contributors

  • Penelope

    1