Moreton Corbet 5866

Shrewsbury, England

Brief Description

Moreton Corbet features ruins of a medieval castle beside an Elizabethan manor house of the later 16th century. There were elaborate gardens to the south of the house in 1588, and a park in the 17th century.

History

Moreton Corbet Castle, dating from the 12th century, was rebuilt between the 1560s and 1583 by the Corbet family, at which time gardens were also laid out. In the 17th century a park was created. Moreton Corbet is still owned by the Corbet family, but is managed by English Heritage.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily at any reasonable time.

Detailed Description

When the castle was being rebuilt in the mid-16th century, gardens of an appropriate size and manner were being laid out south of it. These were described in 1588. 'On the south side of the new building is a garden with an orchard adjoining it, in the middle of which garden are divers solars (solaria) cut into one rock, and on the south side of the garden is a small house called a keep for the use of the gardener, and a well for watering the garden, and there are divers colvered walks and arbours, and the garden and the orchard cover two acres and one rood of land'.

Remnant earthworks of the major terraced garden, of about 130 x 130 metres, can be seen to the south of the castle. Most of that land is now under arable cultivation.

In the late-17th century there was a park at Moreton Corbet, apparently north and west of the church and castle.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The medieval ruins of Moreton Corbet Castle date from around 1200, but the gatehouse was altered and a range was added by 1579. A half-range and a staircase along the east wall of the enclosure were built slightly earlier. Architecturally it is one of the finest Elizabethan designs in the country. The facade is articulated with Tuscan and Ionic columns and an ornamental metope frieze. There are tall ogee-shaped gables with pedimented windows of three lights. The castle was damaged in the Civil War, and although it was repaired after that, the buildings fell into disuse during the 18th century. They are now partially demolished.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Earthwork
  • Description: Remnant earthworks of the major terraced garden, of about 130 x 130 metres, can be seen to the south of the castle.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily at any reasonable time.

Directions

In Moreton Corbet off the B5063 (a turning off A49), 7 miles north-east of Shrewsbury.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Moreton Corbet
History

Period

  • 16th Century
Contact
References

References