Sansaw 6567

Clive, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Sansaw features a hall surrounded by a park and gardens.

History

Sansaw Hall was built in 1773. The park around it was present by at least 1786, and was probably contemporary with the house. The grounds were well developed in 1851, and the house was rebuilt in 1888 for J.J. Bibby, the Liverpool cattle feed and shipping magnate. The Sansaw estate currently operates a farming and real estate business.

Detailed Description

Sansaw Hall featured a park and grounds around the house as early as 1786, but they were almost certainly designed when the house was built in 1773. Thomas Brocas was the gardener at Sansaw during this period, and his diary records that he was frequently in trouble with his masters. In February 1786 he had failed to fill the icehouse for a party that night, and in May the mistress of the house 'came through the garden and finding most of the green house plants dead by the frost spoke to me very sharply.'

The grounds were well established by 1851, when Sansaw's lawns and shrubberies were commended. The shrubberies lay principally in a belt north of the house, with the lawns flanking it to east and west. These plantings providing a setting for the main drive in from the south-east. Serpentine fishponds bounded the park to the west, and there was also an ice-house built before 1786. Later, between 1880 and 1902, a new approach with a lodge was constructed to the north of the Hall. In 1913, Sansaw was visited by The Gardener's Magazine, and commented on the Irish yews, beeches, a giant Sequoia, and a blue spruce as noteworthy specimen trees.

Features
  • Icehouse
  • Description: There was an icehouse in the park in the late-18th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Description: There was a greenhouse with many plants at Sansaw in the late-18th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Description: There were shrubberies in a belt to the north of the house in 1851.
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Description: There were lawns flanking the shrubberies to the east and west in 1851.
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The main approach to the house in the early-19th century was a drive running to the hall from the south-east.
  • Latest Date:
  • Approach
  • Description: A new approach with a lodge was constructed to the north of the house between 1880 and 1902.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: An entrance lodge was constructed between 1880 and 1902, to accompany the new approach to the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: Serpentine fishponds bounded the park to the west.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Clive
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Sansaw

References

References