Acton Reynald Park 4384

near Grinshill, Wem, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Acton Reynald has a hall with an associated park and woodland. There are also extensive formal and kitchen gardens.

History

Acton Reynald Park was first created by the Corbet family during the 17th century. The hall was rebuilt in about 1800. It is possible that the park was remodelled at the same time. The formal and kitchen gardens date back to the mid-19th century.

Features
  • Obelisk
  • Description: The obelisk is located west of the hall.
  • Pavilion
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Gate Lodge, Gate Lodge, Gate Lodge, Pond, Boat House, Conservatory, Greenhouse
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Moreton Corbet
History

Detailed History

Acton Reynald park was created by the Corbet family during the 17th century. The village of Acton Reynald was completely demolished and not relocated to accomodate the hall and park (Raven: 2005, 8).

The hall was largely rebuilt in around 1800 (Newman and Pevsner: 1958, 51). It is possible that the park was remodelled at around the same time. It is worth noting that the park does not appear on Robert Baugh's map of Shropshire dating to 1808 (Trinder: 1983) or the C & J Greenwood map of Shropshire dating to 1827. The Ordnance Survey map of 1891 does record the park as well as recording a 'target' on the edge of the woodland south west of the hall.

North of the hall are extensive formal and kitchen gardens dating to the mid-19th century. At least part of the kitchen garden complex, including two pavilions dates back to 1847. In 1851 the gardens were managed by Francis Bell (Bagshaw: 1851, 311).

References

References