The public park retains traces of the New River Loop, which ran through the estate grounds until the 19th century.
It was not until the late-19th century that the large estates in this area began to be broken up for suburban housing development. Arnos Park was created in 1928 when Southgate UDC purchased 44 acres of wood and meadows formerly part of the Arnos Grove Estate. Originally called Arnolds, the house was owned by Sir John Weld's family in the 17th century, and a Tudor manor house here was demolished in the early-18th century. Between 1777-1918 it belonged to the Walker family of the Taylor Walker brewing company, who purchased further land so that the estate was 100 acres when Lord Inverforth purchased it in 1918. In the early-19th century Isaac Walker much improved the grounds, creating 3 miles of pleasure walks.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am Mon-Sat / 8.30am Sundays to dusk (refer to Council website for seasonal details).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am Mon-Sat / 8.30am Sundays to dusk (refer to Council website for seasonal details).
DirectionsTube: Arnos Grove (Piccadilly)