Mile End Park consists of a series of distinct areas providing for different activities, linked by a winding pathway.
Although Mile End Park was not fully opened until 2004, it was planned from the 1940s, included in Sir Patrick Abercrombie's Greater London Plan. King George's Field in the south opened in 1952 on an area of bomb damage, and the adjacent East London Stadium opened in 1966. Some land clearance and tree planting took place over the years, with the northern area landscaped in the 1980s. A concerted plan to complete the park took place from 1995 following successful application for funding from the Millennium Commission. The aim was that it should be a sustainable entity, built for the community and a catalyst for regional regeneration.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Mile End (District, Central, Hammersmith and City). DLR: West Ferry. Bus: 25, 277, D6, D7
London Parks and Gardens Trust