Manor House, Offord Darcy 5942

Offord Darcy, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Manor House include a small park, a dovecote, a drive and brick walls.

History

Manor House was built in the early-17th century as a private residence for Richard Nailour.

Detailed Description

The house stands in the north-west corner of a small park enclosed on two sides by long brick walls. Manor Farm to the south has a dovecote adjacent to the drive. The gardens around Manor House were reduced by the construction of the Great Northern Railway lines to the west and now have island shrub beds with a mature giant redwood.
Features
  • Island Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Offord Darcy
History

Detailed History

Richard Nailour built this house in 1606-1608 to the south-west of the church almost on the east bank of the River Ouse. In the mid-19th century the house was occupied by William Priestly, miller and farmer, who introduced French wheats to Huntingdonshire.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust