The Old Rectory, Yelling 5946

Yelling, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of The Old Rectory include lawns, wrought iron gates, an orchard, a pond and a laurel shelter belt.

History

The Old Rectory was created in the late-17th and early-18th centuries.

Detailed Description

Situated to the west of the village church, the Old Rectory is approached through white wrought iron gates. A gravel drive sweeps round beneath lofty mature trees to the south of the long-fronted Rectory. A stable block lies to the north-east, and a small orchard with a pond. On the large lawn to the west of the house is a fine cedar of Lebanon. The lawn slopes away from the Rectory and is protected from the road with its high curving bank by a shelter belt of laurels.
Features
  • Shelter Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Yelling
History

Detailed History

The Old Rectory and gardens were created before 1725. The Reverend Henry Venn, BA Jesus College, 1725-1797, when exhausted retired to Yelling and wrote Complete Duty of Man, his volume of sermons.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust