Lutwyche Hall 5735

Easthope, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

There have been gardens at Lutwyche Hall, a brick mansion of 1587, since at least the 18th century. This phase of the garden is hinted at by the ruins of an 18th-century temple which stood close to the south-western approach to the Hall. By the end of the 19th century, there were terraces to the east and south of the house.

History

The earliest remains of designed gardens at Lutwyche Hall date to the 18th century, but as the hall itself is of the 16th century, it is likely that there were gardens before that time. By the late-19th century, a formal, terraced style seems to have been instituted.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Lutwyche Hall is a brick E-plan building originally of 1587, but the space between teh wings was filled in with a mid-18th century hall. The hall features fine plaster decoration, and Victorian Jacobean-style trim, and the windows were altered. The Victorian work is by S. Poutney Smith.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Description: The only remnant of the 18th-century gardens at Lutwyche Hall is the ruined temple which stood close to the south-west approach.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: There are 19th-century terraces to the south and east of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Easthope
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References