The site was divided in the late-1940s, but the main features remain intact. These include terraces, kitchen garden, flower garden, rockeries and a pond.
‘The main terrace is paved, flanked by a dwarf wall, and leads to a large lawn, 72ft by 40ft, which is surrounded by herbaceous borders. Beyond the terrace is the walled and productive kitchen garden, intersected by grass walks and with an ornamental sundial in the centre....A second terrace, with goldfish pond and a sundial, leads to a well-kept rose and flower garden, lawns and rockeries, interspersed with paved walks...The stock of fruit trees includes apples, pears, plums, gages, peaches, nectarines, raspberries, gooseberries and blackcurrants, and there is an outdoor vine. The ornamental gardens are flanked by trim Thuya hedges with dwarf Box hedge borders. The rockeries are stocked with most known Alpine plants, and the flower beds with a good variety of roses and bulbs'.
Garden Terrace, Lawn, Herbaceous Border, Kitchen Garden, Sundial, Pond
Detailed HistoryOccupants of the property included W.F. Evans, ex-head of Cowbridge Grammar School, Stanley Philpot, architect and surveyor (1928-39), Blanche Homfray (1940-47), the Walters brothers (1947-52) and Sir David Llewellyn MP (1952-62). The main features of the garden have been preserved and are well-maintained.
Under the occupancy of the Walters brothers the property was divided, St. Quentin's Cottage being formed from the stables and part of the garden. The cottage garden was recently found to have been designed by Ralph Hancock.
- Associated People