Cowbridge, the Great House 4303

Vale of Glamorgan, Wales

Pgds 20090808 151948 Llanblethian3 Cropped

Brief Description

The Great House is a 17th-century, gabled building, which was detached in its own grounds until the 1830s. Features known to have existed on the site include a fishpond and orchard (1630) and two walled gardens and an orchard (late-18th and early-19th century).

History

The house was divided in 1833, with part of it being converted into a shop. At the same time, further housing was built on what had been the grounds. Three substantial gardens remained behind the new premises, the largest of which was plot 167 on the tithe map. This was a market garden until the 1960s.

Features
  • Great House (featured building)
  • Description: The Great House is a gabled building which was divided in 1833.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
References

References