Lightoaks Park 6243

Salford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Features of Lightoaks Park include a drive, with lodge, leading from Claremont Road to a roughly circular site with the house (1855) on the western boundary. The site had been created from an area of apparent scrubland with a number of existing ponds or lakes one of which was retained as part of the designed layout surrounding the new house. The expanded site is now part of Lightoaks Park.

History

Lightoaks Park has a house built in 1855 by Sir Benjamin Heywood, MP for South Lancashire, for his son Arthur.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.salford.gov.uk/leisure/parks/parksinsalford/publicparks/parks-cws.htm
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: There is a drive, with lodge, leading from Claremont Road to a roughly circular site with the house on the western boundary.
  • Lake
  • Description: The site had been created from an area of apparent scrubland with a number of existing ponds or lakes one of which was retained as part of the designed layout surrounding the new house.
Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.salford.gov.uk/leisure/parks/parksinsalford/publicparks/parks-cws.htm
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit