The principal building was a mansion dating from 1534. This is now in ruinous condition and only the tower remains. The tower is surrounded by a moat. The site is in the care of the Landmark Trust and it may be possible to arrange a visit. Please see: http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/
A castellated mansion was erected on the site by Sir William Pelham in 1534.
- Castellated Mansion (ruined) (featured building)
- Description: The tower is the only part which remains.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Two miles south-west of Laughton Pond stands a castellated mansion erected by Sir William Pelham in 1534. The mansion is surrounded by a moat 7 metres wide. The Laughton estates included extensive parkland, and was the residence of the Pelham family for 200 years.
Laughton Place became a tenanted farmhouse in the 17th century, after Sir Thomas Pelham built a new house at Halland. Subsequently a succession of tenants occupied the site. There were extensive alterations from 1754. 18th-century wings were demolished in the 1760s by the architect Fuller White. The estate was sold in 1926, after 500 years in the Pelham family.
The site is now owned and maintained by the Landmark Trust. The tower is the only part of the original house which is still enclosed by the moat.
- 16th Century
Sussex Gardens Trust