The site has alternated between being a house and a farm, with several changes of name. Historical features include a maze planted in 1821, though it is unclear whether or not this remains.
- Description: In ESRO AMS 5845/1 is a sketch plan initialled `W.B.H. May 1910? of `The Maze, Prospect House, East Hoathly, planted 30 November, 1821?. It is based on that at Hampton Court. It lists the fruit trees that made up the maze, which includes many varieties now lost.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- House (featured building)
- Latest Date:
- East Hoathly with
Detailed HistorySamuel Durrant, second son of Samuel Durrant inherited four acres of land called ‘Horsmans' at or next to the Hoathly Butts by 1805. Matthew Martin, who had been living there with Durrant, surrendered land on 26 November 1839. John James Robinson, a goldsmith from London appears in the 1841 census as living at ‘Prospect House' which is almost certainly Heasmans. Living in the village at that time was Henry Hemsley, a gardener. By 1851, he had married and had a son, William Botting Hemsley, then aged seven. W.B. Hemsley became head of the Herbarium at Kew (AMS 603/7).
In ESRO AMS 5845/1 is a sketch plan initialled ‘W.B.H. May 1910' of ‘The Maze, Prospect House, East Hoathly, planted 30 November, 1821'. It is based on that at Hampton Court. It lists the fruit trees that made up the maze, which includes many varieties now lost.
The tithe map TD/E 48 of 1839 shows a large ‘Orchard Field', as well as Hop fields, arable garden and nursery and a garden of over one acre.
The site changed its name frequently, Hesmead farm in 1821, Heasmonds, and Heasman's Farm on tithe map and tithe book. Prospect House becomes Prospect Place in 1855, then Hesmonds Lodge in 1861. After 1867, Prospect House, then Hesmonds Lodge, then Hesmonds Farm, then just Hesmonds. By 1899, Prospect Farm, then Hesmonds farm, then Prospect Farm for the last time in 1927.
Sussex Gardens Trust