Landemann Circus is a communal garden, dating from the mid- to late-19th century.
The area was planned as a communal garden when the houses of Landemann Circus were built in the mid- to late-19th century.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is a private garden but can be seen from the road.
Landemann Circus is a circular island at the end of the road called by the same name. It is surrounded by nine large Victorian houses. To the north-west is a small hospital.
The Circus itself is enclosed by a stone wall and privet hedge. A gate on the eastern side is no longer in use and the hedge has been allowed, or perhaps encouraged to fill the gap. The west gate is used and leads to an open grassed area. The edge of this area slopes up slightly, suggesting it may once have supported a shrubbery. A bench is at '12 o'clock', facing due south.
Description checked by Avon Gardens Trust 22/5/2012.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is a private garden but can be seen from the road.
Detailed HistoryThe area was planned as a communal garden when the houses of Landemann Circus were built in the mid to late-19th century. It appears that there have never been any trees, possibly in order not to spoil the outlook from the houses.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
Avon Gardens Trust