Beach Lawns was a late Victorian esplanade garden, now planted in a formal style.
Beach Lawns was built in the 1880s and opened to the public in 1910.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal park for general public use.
Beach Lawns extend along the seafront from the Grand Pier south to the end of Marine Parade. They are divided by roads into several sections. The top section is the most carefully planted and has a fountain. Most of the lawns now have a raised planted border on the western side which acts as a wind barrier.
Beach Lawns are well-maintained by the Council.
- Description: Sea wall.
- Description: Most of the lawns now have a raised planted border on the western side which acts as a wind barrier.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal park for general public use.
The sea walls, terraces, bastions and steps along Marine Parade are built on the natural rock of limestone rubble walls with sandstone coping. The Department of the Environment's List of Buildings describes the area as follows: 'The exisiting promenade was created in the 1880s (1883-85) when a new sea wall was built together with Beach Lawns and the sea front buildings'.
It is a fine example of a Victorian esplanade devoted to seaside recreational pursuits. The planting was originally more general and informal. This can be seen on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. On the 19th century map the present putting green in Victoria Square was rounded on both ends with a path across the centre. It was part of the Beach Lawns group of grassed areas.
Beach Lawns was opened to the public in 1910.