The park has numerous large plane trees in the western part dating from the period before the land was bought by Hurlingham Club from the Mulgrave House estate in 1879.
Hurlingham Park was formerly land that was owned by the Bishop of London, later part of the Hurlingham estate with a fine riverside mansion and grounds. From 1869 it was leased then purchased by the Hurlingham Club, becoming famous for polo. The site of the park was the former No.1 Polo Ground between 1874 - 1937 with a concrete grandstand built in 1935 provided seating. During World War 2 part of the polo grounds were leased for use as allotments from 1942, and in 1951 the Polo Grounds were compulsorily purchased by the LCC for housing development and a public park. The site of former stables became a series of enclosed gardens with ornamental planting, bowling green, paddling pool and play area, and the polo ground became a running track and tennis courts.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Fulham Broadway (District) then bus. Bus: C4
London Parks and Gardens Trust