Much of the original layout remains, although the bandstand and latter buildings have been demolished, and the lake filled in. Among the features that remain are an Edwardian wooden shelter, 1950s cricket pavilion, shrub borders and rose garden, as well as lime and plane trees.
South Park opened to the public in 1904, created on land purchased by the LCC in 1901. Considerable investment was made, including erection of fine gates at the principal entrance; lodges, one with a refreshment room attached; extensive lengths of boundary wall and railings. An impressive balustraded terrace overlooked the playing fields, bandstand and lake, and the park later acquired an aviary and palm house.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Fulham Broadway (District) then bus. Bus: 28, 295, C4
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust