King George VI Memorial Park, Ramsgate 1941

Ramsgate, England, Kent, Thanet

Brief Description

The site was originally parkland belonging to East Cliff Lodge, the home until 1885 of philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore. The land was bought in 1946 by the borough council and renamed the King George VI Memorial Park. The house was demolished in 1954. The park features a 19th-century Italianate greenhouse which has recently benefited from a £100,000 restoration project.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

Renamed the King George VI Memorial Park, it is a large area of grassland with a shelter belt of trees along the cliff top.

A garden in memory of Ramsgate's benefactor was made in 1985 after the restoration of the elegant Italianate Greenhouse.

This important early 19th-century curvilinear conservatory, with its porch and delicate overlapping fish-scale panes of glass, is the county's only public park conservatory.

Features
  • Greenhouse
  • Description: The greenhouse is the last surviving original part of the East Cliff Lodge Estate. The 19th-century greenhouse has now been completely restored and is covered in 'fish scale' glass which gets smaller towards the top of the structure.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
History

Detailed History

The parkland of East Cliff Lodge, the home of the philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore from 1831-1885, passed into the hands of Ramsgate Borough Council soon after 1946.
Associated People

Just one person associated to King George VI Memorial Park, Ramsgate

References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust