The park was officially opened in 1931 providing sports pitches and pavilions, a children's play area, and riverside walk with new trees and shrubs planted.
Kneller Gardens are named after German-born portrait painter Sir Godfrey Kneller, who was appointed Court Painter in 1680, knighted in 1691, later made a baronet in 1715. By then he had built his villa, Whitton House, on a site to the north-west of Kneller Gardens. The house was replaced by Kneller Hall in 1848, which is now the Royal Military School of Music. Maps of 1915 show the site of Kneller Gardens as a bathing place surrounded by farmland; in 1930 Twickenham Borough Council developed 12 acres here as a new recreation ground for Whitton's growing population.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from Mon-Sat 7.30am-dusk; Sun/Bank Holidays 9am-dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from Mon-Sat 7.30am-dusk; Sun/Bank Holidays 9am-dusk.
DirectionsRail: Whitton. Bus: H22, 490, 110
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust