A public footpath runs through the cemetery parallel to which is another path, both flanked by avenues of trees. The gravestones are scattered among grass, with 19th-century gravestones generally in the vicinity of the Lodge where there is also a garden of rest for cremations, but the cemetery is closed to new burials.
The land was acquired by the Enfield Burial Board and the cemetery was developed as a separate entity from the adjacent churchyard. The Burial Board was wound up in the 1920s.
Visitor Facilities9am (Mon-Sat)/10am (Sun/BH) - 4pm (Dec/Jan); - 4.30pm (Nov/Feb); 5.30pm (Mar/Apr/Sep/Oct); -7pm/7.30 Sun/BHs (May-Aug).
Detailed DescriptionHertford Road Cemetery opened in 1880 on land acquired by the Enfield Burial Board and was developed as a separate entity from the adjacent churchyard of St James. The C19th Cemetery Lodge is a two-storey brick building, now largely destroyed by fire, having been sold by auction in the late 1990s. After the Burial Board was wound up in the 1920s, the cemetery was later owned by LB Enfield, and the Lodge used by the Parks Superintendent and then as a Parks store.
LB Enfield Briefing Note for The Lodge, Hertford Road by Local History Officer, August 2001.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ENF023
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details9am (Mon-Sat)/10am (Sun/BH) - 4pm (Dec/Jan); - 4.30pm (Nov/Feb); 5.30pm (Mar/Apr/Sep/Oct); -7pm/7.30 Sun/BHs (May-Aug).
DirectionsRail: Southbury then bus. Bus: 121, 279, 307, 310, 310A, 363
London Parks and Gardens Trust