This is a crematorium and gardens with two red-brick gabled and pan-tiled chapels connected by a triple-arched arcade and either side of a central clock tower designed by Sir Guy Dawber, Wilson & Fox. There is an avenue of horse chestnut trees from the Lodge at the entrance and a war memorial. To the north-west is little more than a lawn-style Garden of Remembrance with many flowering cherries, but formal gardens and landscaping were created to the east of the Crematorium.
Enfield Crematorium was opened by the Tottenham and Wood Green Burial Board in 1938.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8.30am to 6pm.
Detailed DescriptionEnfield Crematorium was opened by the Tottenham and Wood Green Burial Board in 1938, and the landscaping of its grounds forms a cohesive whole with the main buildings, which include a pair of chapels connected by a triple-arched arcade. An avenue of horse chestnuts leads from the entrance lodge; formal gardens were created to the east of the crematorium, while a more informal Garden of Remembrance to the north west. A yew-lined approach from Great Cambridge Road is flanked by a series of hedged and walled geometrical gardens.
Webb C, revised ed. of Wolfston, P, Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria, Society of Genealogists, 3rd ed. 1994; Victoria County History; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ENF017
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8.30am to 6pm.
DirectionsRail: Turkey Street. Bus: 217, 317, 310, 311
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust