The entrance is through fine iron gates, leading to a circular gravelled drive in front of the church with a central planted bed; steps with low handrails lead up to church. The churchyard is surrounded by old iron railings to the road boundaries, with a wall at the back of the churchyard and contains a few headstones set in grass, and a number of trees.
St John the Baptist Church was built in 1833 to serve the needs of this part of the parish of Leyton, and in 1848 became the parish church when the parish of Leytonstone was formed. William Cotton, who paid for the church to be built, is buried in the churchyard. Also buried here are the members of the Buxton family who lived at Leytonstone House. The churchyard is now closed to burials.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Leytonstone (Central. Bus: 66, 145, 257, W13, W14
Church of England
London Parks and Gardens Trust