Hampton Court Green today is open land with perimeter trees and path, a car park in the north-west. A belt of trees screens Hampton Court House to the north and to the west is Bushy Park.
The hamlet at Hampton Court grew due to the influx of workers and artisans when the Palace was built for Cardinal Wolsey and later Henry VIII's extension. Originally the commonland extended to the river. In the 1760s the Ranger of Bushy Park took land for Hampton Court House and its gardens. In 1812 all claims on the Green by the Manor Court were foregone on condition that the King gave up his rights for commonland in Hampton, at which time it was agreed that no part of the Green could be built on and that no fences should be over 4 ft high. Apart from grazing, the Green was also used for archery and military purposes, and was famous as a place of recreation, with fairs and festivals, cricket matches and other sporting events, attracting thousands of people by the late C19th.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hampton Court. Bus: 111, 216.
London Parks and Gardens Trust