The new church was consecrated on 1 September 1831, attended by Queen Adelaide and other members of the royal family. The churchyard was partially closed in 1883. It was renovated in 1972 when most of the headstones were taken away retaining some of the more interesting ones. Within the churchyard is the Garden of Remembrance which is still in use.
There has been a church at Hampton since 1342, and St Mary the Virgin has strong associations with the monarchy due to the proximity of Hampton Court Palace. By 1821 the growing parish population necessitated a larger building, and eventually it was agreed to rebuild rather than enlarge the existing building, which was demolished in 1830.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hampton, Hampton Wick, Hampton Court. Bus: R68, 267, 111, 216
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, Hampton-upon-Thames
London Parks and Gardens Trust