Glandyfi Castle 4311

Machynlleth, Wales

Brief Description

Glandyfi Castle is a Regency gothic castle built on a commanding site overlooking the Dyfi estuary. It has a walled kitchen garden, a setting of mature deciduous woodland, exotic shrubs, lawns and borders.

History

The castle was built on a new site as home for the newly-wed George and Justina Jeffreys. First sold in 1906, the estate has been divided but the core area around the castle is little changed except by additional planting.

Visitor Facilities

glandyfi@fsmail.net

Terrain

hilly
Features

Style

  • Picturesque
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: Gothic ornamental castle overlooking the Dyfi estuary
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Bee Bole
  • Description: At the north-west corner of the walled garden are a series of 12 shelves with rounded recesses built to house bee skeps in the inner side of the wall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden with two doorways and remnants of a greenhouse and brick shed. There are integral bee boles in the wall. There are some remnant apple and pear cultivars and outgrown box hedging. Paths within the garden were formerly of grass not gravel.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Description: Richly varied shrub planting adjoins the drive approaching the castle.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

glandyfi@fsmail.net

Directions

Five miles south of Machynlleth on A487. Castellated gateposts east of road in Glandyfi.
History

Detailed History

Edward Jeffreys (1715-1801), lawyer of Shrewsbury, came from a long line of Jeffreys associated with Ellesmere, Coolmere, and Shrewsbury. He invested in mining leases and Garreg, and bought more land and cottages at Eglwysfach from Mrs Skyrm, a widow. From two marriages he had three sons and five daughters, of whom Robert (1744-1801) was the eldest son. Robert Jeffreys married Eleanor. They had 11 children in all. Robert and his father Edward both died in 1801.

In 1808 Robert's eldest son, Edward Jeffreys, Cornet in the 3rd Dragoon Guards, wrote his will, prior to departure with his regiment to the Peninsular War. He died on 5 September 1811 at Elvas Military Hospital of natural causes (probably infectious disease). The estate passed to Edward's brother George, aged 22.

In 1814 George Jeffreys (born 1789) married Justina Scott (who was born Justina McMurdo, in Jamaica, 1786). She was the adopted daughter of the intellectual Edward Scott of Bodtalog, Towyn and his second wife the widow Louisa Maria de Saumaise, (who through her father Lewis Anwyl had inherited Bodtalog). She mixed in literary circles and may have been the influence which caused her husband to build in the Picturesque style. Nine children were born to George and Justina.

In 1818 the newly built Dovey Castle was complete and is recorded as their dwelling on the baptism of George and Justina's third child, and first son, Edward.

In 1820 Jane Gruffydd, daughter of the rector of Maentwrog took up temporary residence at Dovey Castle, in order to marry the writer Thomas Love Peacock at Eglwysfach. Witnesses were George Jeffreys and Revd George Scott of Penhelig. Peacock seems to have been a former admirer of Justina from before 1811.

In 1868 George Jeffreys died and his eldest son Edward (resident at Ranger Lodge) inherited. In 1875 he owned 443 acres, with a rental income of £266.

Justina Jeffreys died in 1870 and Dovey Bank (now Voelas) was rented out as a gentleman's residence.

In 1888 Edward Jeffreys died and his younger brother Charles, his wife and daughter returned from New Zealand (where he had emigrated age 18) to live at the castle. From 1891 to 1904, Charles Jeffreys was at Glandyfi castle.

In 1906 the estate was sold at auction in lots. The castle, plus 370 acres of land, was bought by Lewis Pugh Evans Pugh (recently of Abermad). Dovey Bank (Voelas) and Glandovey Cottage (Ranger Lodge) were sold separately.

In 1906 the castle and 43 acres were sold directly to Major Robert John Spurrell.

From 1943 to 1948 the castle was owned and occupied by R.A.C. Pugh.

Between 1950 and 1956 the castle was purchased by BSA motors, (Sir Bernard Docker) for £12,500 and renovated and furnished 'like the Ritz!' at a cost to shareholders of £30,000.

In 1962 the castle was purchased as a country residence by Harry and Bettina Lancaster. Bettina Lancaster remarried after Harry died, and became Mrs Piper. She died in 2006.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Glandyfi Castle

References

References