Remaining features include some of the farm ponds, although the farm buildings have been destroyed. Some of the planting from Repton's scheme remains, along with more recently planted trees.
Part of Fryent Country Park has the remains of Barn Hill Farm, an C18th landscaped farm that was part of Wembley Park estate. In the late C18th, land owner Richard Page sought the advice of Humphry Repton who was employed at Wembley Park. Remnants of his scheme survive such as the belt of trees running down from the hilltop and crossing Brampton Grove and Basing Hill. The area was saved from development, firstly in 1927 when 50 acres of wood and hilltop were conveyed to Wembley UDC for Barn Hill Open Space. Then, after Fryent Way opened in 1935, Middlesex County Council compulsorily purchased what was largely farmland to keep it public open space.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Kingsbury (Jubilee); Wembley Park then bus. Bus: 79, 183, 204, 302, PR2.
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust