Foxdenton Hall 4537

Oldham, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Foxdenton Hall is an early 18th century building on a 15th century site. The grounds, which occupy about 5.2 hectares, have been redeveloped as a public park.

History

The first Foxdenton Hall was built in the early 1400s but has been rebuilt twice since then. In the mid 20th century the hall and grounds were taken over by the local authority which has redeveloped the grounds as a public park.

Detailed Description

The hall is to the centre of an irregular site and is approached along a curving drive leading from Foxdenton Lane. There is a lake to the east of the site and there was a pleasure garden to the south of the hall.

Currently the public park has a sensory garden, tree sculptures, a cascade, oak pagoda, lake and woodlands.

Facilities include two bowling greens, a children's play park, tennis courts and a cafe in the hall.

The park was awarded Green Flag status in 2007

Features
  • Statue
  • Description: Tree sculpture by chainsaw artist, Richard James, of the Heron fable of Aesops.
  • Cascade
  • Description: Water cascade in the sensory garden.
  • Pond
  • Description: Sensory garden
  • Estate Hall (featured building)
  • Description: Red brick with stone quoins, projecting wings and steep hipped roof. No substantial alterations since 1750. The hall was refurbished in the late 1960s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Ornamental Lake, Fountain, Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Directions

To the south side of Chadderton on Foxdenton Road
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Chadderton South
History

Detailed History

The present Foxdenton Hall was built in about 1700 on a 15th century site. Little is know of the history of the grounds. The site was taken over by the local authority in the mid 20th century and has been developed as a public park.

See the websites of the Friends of Foxdenton and the Chadderton History Society for more details of the Hall and the previous owners.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • Oldham Coundil

    Civic Centre, West Street, Oldham, OL1 1UG
References

References