Werneth Park 4648

Oldham, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Werneth Park is a public park, created in 1936 from a 19th-century estate featuring a hall with gardens and a small park. It has a community centre and recreational and sports facilities.

History

The original hall was destroyed by fire in 1456 and was rebuilt twice. By the late-19th century the grounds were extended and laid out in circular walks. In 1936 the hall and park were donated to the town by Miss Majory Lees and became a public park.

Detailed Description

As well as the Octagonal Music Rooms and a community centre, the park has central gardens, a tennis court, a monument, bowling green, football pitch, playground and parking area.

Features
Conservatory
History

Detailed History

The Platt, Less and Radcliffe families bought the triangular plot of land that formed Werneth Park from the Werneth Hall estate in or about 1844.

Each of the families (two Radcliffes) built "mill town mansions" in the upper reaches of the Park overlooking its large landscaped field. As the Platt and Radcliffe families moved on the Less family bought out their share and demolished their houses to become sole residents.

The music room and the conservatory of the Platt house was retained and the Less family constructed the octagonal reception room utilising some of the masonry from the Platt house.

The Platts (perhaps all the families sharing) had a stable yard on Frederick Street opposite the Platt house access to the park. Its archway entrance survives.

Dame Sarah Lees was a well known local philanthropist and on her death in 1936 her daughter gave the park to the town. The Lees family house became a study centre and natural history museum. It continues in use as an adult education centre.

References

References