Chadderton Hall Park 4490

Oldham, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

A public park, consisting of about 6 hectares of open ground and wooded walks. Few of the original features remain.

History

A hall was first built on the site in about 1212, which was rebuilt on two occasions. The latest was demolished in 1939. The large central lake was flooded in 1927 by the River Irk.

Visitor Facilities

Public park

Detailed Description

Originally the park was heavily wooded around the hall and had a large central lake.

By the end of the 19th century there was also a pleasure garden and a menagerie (no longer present). Animals in the menagerie included a boxing kangaroo and Chang the lion. The lake was used for boating.

Little remains of the original features, but the park is currently well maintained as a recreational area and was awarded Green Flag status in 2006. The site has a shrub garden near the main entrance, formal features (gardens, play area and bowling greens) on the upper terrace and the more informal stlye of a country park on the lower terrace by the River Irk.

The Bowling Pavilion is now a cafe.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The most recent hall was brick built with the main front facing south.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Upper and lower terraces
Boating Lake, Sports Pavilion, Gateway
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Public park

Directions

The main approach is from Nordens Lane running from the Rochdale Road to the south.
History

Detailed History

A hall existed on the site from 1212 onwards and was the ancestral hall of Gilbert de Norton. Little is known of the appearance of the Old Hall, except that it was probably rebuilt in the form which it retained until its demolition by Sir William Horton in the middle of the 18thth century. The building which replaced it was brick built, with the main front facing south. The grounds as they existed in the mid 19th century were heavily wooded and the main feature was a large central lake.

The grounds of the hall were used as pleasure grounds during the first half of the 20th century with animals including a lion. In 1927 the lake was swept away in a flood which burst the banks of the River Irk and in 1939 the hall was demolished.

A more detailed history with photographs of the Hall and Park can be found on the website of the Chadderton Historical Society.

Contact
References

References