This large public park was taken over by Manchester Corporation in 1894 and laid out in a naturalistic style with broad walks. It is maintained as an open space and is used for public meetings.
The park, which appears on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map, was taken over by Manchester Corporation in 1894. A number of famous individuals have spoken at public meetings held in the park, including Keir Hardie and Mrs Pankhurst.
The large, irregular park is situated between Rochdale Road to the west and Charleston Road to the north. The park features several gullies and ravines and part of the site holds the remains of some Ancient Woodland. It was originally surrounded by open fields but was encircled with housing by 1848. At that time the park included a boating lake, bowling greens, a fish pond, running track with pavilion, a War memorial, Boggart Hole Brook and a number of walks and paths.
In 1894 Manchester Corpoartion took the park over and laid it out in a naturalistic style wih broad walks. It is maintained as an open space and is the third largest of the Manchester City Council public parks.
- Description: A fish pond is shown next to the boating pond on the 1848 map.
- Description: Many walks and paths are shown on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map.
- Boating Lake
- Description: The boating lake to the east of the park has a central island.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.manchester.gov.uk/leisure/parks/central/
DirectionsThis public park is bounded by Rochdale Road to the west, Charleston Road to the north and a housing development to the south.
- University of Manchester and University of York, 1994A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Greater Manchester