Elm House 6208

Wisbech, England, Cambridgeshire, Fenland

Brief Description

Features of Elm House include walks, enclosed gardens, a ha-ha and a kitchen garden.

History

Elm House was created in the mid-17th century, but the most recent garden was created in the mid-20th century.

Detailed Description

The extensive garden was re-designed by Mr. Denys Bullard, MP for King's Lynn from 1959-1964. The house stands back from the road behind mature lime trees with hollies beneath, and a new cedar and monkey puzzle tree.

To the rear of the house is a grass walk between two wide beds of shrubs and herbaceous perennials with fruit bushes and vegetables behind the two borders. The whole is enclosed by brick walls which contained the original walled kitchen garden. The grass walk leads to a ha-ha and a vista has been established towards the young arboretum planted in the meadow adjoining the garden. The Ordnance Survey map of 1888 indicates ponds in the meadow where a bog garden is now being established. Further in the distance was an avenue between two ditches, which was on the axis of the house. Would that the trees in that avenue of elms were still surviving.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wisbech
History

Detailed History

Elm House was originally built in 1630 and the front fa├žade was added in the late-18th century.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust