The Manor House, Tydd St Giles (also known as Tydd Manor)6239

Tydd St Giles, England, Cambridgeshire, Fenland

Brief Description

Features of Tydd Manor include a rock garden, lawns and a small arboretum.

History

Tydd Manor was created in the late-16th century, however the gardens were refurbished in the early-20th century.

Detailed Description

With energy and intrepid determination Howard Carter set about improving the garden. A visit to the Chelsea Flower Show in 1948 inspired him to add interest to his garden. Carter was so impressed by George Whitelegg's rock garden display that year, complete with electrically operated waterfall, he ordered it to be delivered lock, stock and barrel to Tydd Manor. Later, he received a telephone call from Wisbech station telling him his garden was on the platform awaiting collection. After a lengthy discussion over the phone, the garden was delivered.

The rocks were divided into two and positioned in the south-west corner of the south lawn where they remain today. There is an interesting collection of trees growing to the east of the manor forming a small arboretum and the vegetable garden lies to the south of Kirkgate Road opposite.

Features
  • Waterfall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rockery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Tydd St. Giles
History

Detailed History

Protected from the Fenland winds by mature oaks, poplars and cedars this late-16th century manor house was restored by Howard Carter in 1926.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust