Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

The Park, Wisbech 6210

Short Description

Wisbech Park stretches out over 11 acres within the Bowthorpe Conservation Area, with large open grass fields and mature wooded areas.

Visitor Facilities

Play Area, Winter Garden, Bandstand, Picnic Area, Tennis Court, Basketball Court http://www.wisbech-townpark.com

Detailed Description

The Commissioners undertook to plant a lime avenue along the west side of the Park now called The Avenue. The main contributors to the cost of 3,769.18s.10d pounds were William and Algernon Peckover, bankers, influenced by Octavia Hill, who argued for the provision of open spaces in towns. Overlooking the south of the Park a new hospital was built in 1873, with a lodge and a detached residence for the surgeon. This was in harmony with the elegant houses existing along Townshend Road. A memorial column erected in 1871 to the late Richard Young, MP, still stands today near the bandstand which was opened on 9th July 1908.

The Park is divided by a path and privet hedge. The northern part comprises a fine arboretum that to the south provides several sports areas, bowls, tennis, football and a children's play area. A concrete platform along the privet hedge, once served as a base for an army tank. Recently a garden, designed by Diane Maclean, has been laid out by the Nene Housing Society, incorporating tall timber poles arranged in groups of three adjacent to snake-like paving patterns.

Features
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Directions

Wisbech Park is just a 10 minute walk from Wisbech town centre, simply follow the pedestrian signposts.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wisbech
History

History

The Park was created in the mid-19th century.

Detailed History

In 1869, 7.6 hectares were bought from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for the creation of a public park in Wisbech. The Park was opened in 1870 and is situated to the west of Townshend Road.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust