Ford Bank 6137

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Ford Bank had a house with grounds and a small park. Carr Lane was to the south (Ford Lane 1895), with open fields to the west and north-east of the site in 1848. The house and pleasure ground were situated to the north-eastern boundary. There was a wooded boundary belt to the lane. By 1895, the area of park had been reduced to the south-east corner. Planting on the north-west boundary had been thickened. The site is now lost, having been developed for housing.

History

The estate was purchased by Joseph Birley in 1823 who also built the house.

History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit