Castle Lodge remains at the entrance of the driveway, which leads through remnants of landscaping to the Castle, crossing the Ha-Ha.
Severndroog Castle, a Gothic folly, was erected by the widow of Sir William James (d.1783) in the grounds of Park Farm Place, which he had purchased in 1774. Sir William had worked for the East India Company and the name recalls his capture of a pirate fortress on the island of Severndroog off Malabar in 1755. By the 20th century it was part of the grounds of Castlewood, whose last owner's will offered the estate to the LCC for public use. The grounds opened as a public park in 1922, with Severndroog Castle retained although the main house was not.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of the grounds in unrestricted. See the website for castle opening times.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of the grounds in unrestricted. See the website for castle opening times.
DirectionsRail: Eltham then bus. Bus: 161, 122, 89, 178, 486
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust