The land south of Ha-Ha Road is mostly accessible, open commonland.
Woolwich Common originally covered an extensive area, and from the late C18th was used by the military. In 1802 the Board of Ordnance enclosed part of the common and it remains largely owned by the Ministry of Defence. Building of the Royal Artillery Barracks in the north of the common had begun in 1776 and in 1806 the Regiment moved here. Barrack Field was a setting for the Military Repository, a mortar battery and the observatory, with married quarters bounded to the south by a ha-ha. The Rotunda was moved here from St James's Park in 1819 and became a military museum.
Visitor FacilitiesThere is unrestricted public access only south of Ha-Ha Road. Rotunda no longer open but group visits may be arranged through Firepower (020 8781 3127).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThere is unrestricted public access only south of Ha-Ha Road. Rotunda no longer open but group visits may be arranged through Firepower (020 8781 3127).
DirectionsRail: Woolwich Dockyard then bus. Bus: 53, 54, 380, 422, 486.
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust