The formal gardens at Dyrham Park lie to the west of the mansion house.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Telephone0844 800 1895
Access contact details
The gardens are open from March to December, every day at high season but only on weekends through the winter.
The gardens can be reached from junction 18 at the M4, then via the A46.
The National TrustHeelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA
The 4.5 hectare formal gardens to the west of the mansion house have been developed by the National Trust since they acquired the property in the 1950s. The gardens incorporate several historic features. The two ponds are clearly shown on the survey of the estate by Christopher Jacob dating from 1689, and are thought to have been part of the Elizabethan garden.
The wall at the western end of the garden is shown in Kip's engraving of 1712, and the lime trees in the church walk are thought to date from the same period.
- Features & Designations
- Description: Two ponds, thought to be of Elizabethan date, but certainly in existence by 1689.
- Specimen Tree
- Description: Lime trees in the church walk.
- Boundary Wall
- Description: The wall at the westen end of the garden is shown on Kip's engraving of 1712.
- Key Information
Part: standing remains
Open to the public
Dyrham and Hinton