Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Sands Court

Introduction

Sands Court is a garden in a woodland setting. The plain 18th-century house was converted to a Dower House by the Codrington family of Dodington House.

Terrain

Sands Court is situated on a wooded slope facing west.

Sands Court is situated on a wooded slope facing west. There are side views across farmlands. The woods around the house give a more intimate setting. From the main entrance, the house appears to be an ordinary 18th century stone cottage. However, it has a striking garden front, enlivened by the addition of a central tower with ogee roof and balustraded porch and a door with pointed glass fanlight. This gives the whole composition a picturesque effect, and is a result of the adaptation of the building to a Dower House by the Codrington family of Dodington Park.

The garden is enclosed by a three metre high wall with a central arched gateway. There is a winged dragon, from the Codrington crest, mounted above. The area around the drive and entrance has some mature Scots pines, beech, sequoia and horse chestnut. At the time of the last survey several beech trees had been felled and sawn into firewood.

The walled garden has a notably large cypress. Steps lead down from the dragon doorway to a levelled grass area. A further set of steps lead down to a ditch, which forms the western boundary of the property.

Buildings to the south of the main house have been converted to separate residences. The area to the south-west is an overgrown fruit garden and shrubbery.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Owners

Mr Davidson

Sands Court, BS37 6SE
History

The site is outside the area of Dodington Park landscaped by Capability Brown from 1764. However, it is likely that the history of Sands Court is bound up with the Codrington family of nearby Dodington Park. Research has failed to uncover any individual mention of this property.

The major alterations to a fairly ordinary house perhaps date from the Codrington's building at Dodington between 1796 and 1816. The ornate garden wall similarly seems to date to this time, or perhaps to the landscaping era at Dodington (1760s).

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Features & Designations

Designations

  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Sands Court
  • Grade: II

Plant Environment

  • Woodland Garden
  • Environment

Features

  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was extended in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Mature Scots pine and beech trees.
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: There is a 3 metre high, 45 metre long enclosing wall around the garden. It is built of red brick and limestone rubble with stone coping.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: There is a central arch gateway in the enclosing wall around the garden. It is surmounted by a winged dragon, the crest of the Codrington family.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: The walled garden has a notably large cypress.
Key Information

Type

Woodland Garden

Purpose

Ornamental Garden

Plant Environment

Woodland Garden

Period

Late 18th Century

Survival

Extant

Hectares

2

Civil Parish

Dodington

References

References