The King Square Estate was built for Finsbury Borough Council between 1959-65 and the garden square was re-landscaped, remaining public open space surrounded by the new estate. The tallest tower overlooks the park on the west side. Part of the garden is paved and the remainder has grass, flowerbeds, shrubs and trees.
King Square was originally laid out in 1822-25 on land belonging to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, with the church of St Barnabas built on the east side. The church was damaged during WWII but was rebuilt and re-opened in 1956, later renamed St Clement’s Church. By the 1950s the area was run-down and a new housing estate was planned.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Barbican (Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan). Old Street, Angel (Northern) then bus. Bus: 4, 43, 56, 205, 214, 394